Wednesday, January 17, 2007
gloria so
Gloria So
Urbana for me was split into two parts. I knew coming into Urbana I had many issues that I had to fix from unconfessed sins to broken relationships and so I wasn't that excited to be going because I knew I would have to confront God. Previously, I had run like Jonah to avoid having to deal with the sins and brokenness in my life. I thought I could just pretend that those things didn't bother me and I could receive God's mission for me fully. However, that night when we were in the concert of prayer, asking to hear God's voice. I heard the word: tell. I knew it didn't mean to go tell the gospel, but to tell my Christian friends about my struggles and be united as brothers and sisters. I realized that God wanted me to live a life worthy of his call. That night I got the courage to share the struggles I was experiencing with Christian sisters as well as try to patch up relationships.
Through this, I realized the joy of obedience to God. In spite of the fears and pride that prevented me from obeying God's word for so long, God still cared about me, his child, and knew what he was doing. The second part of Urbana, I felt such acceptance and joy in the ability to be congregated and united with Christian fellowship. In terms of missions, what I learned in my seminars was that Christianity is not a Western religion, but a world religion. I realized that I could use my vocation as a long-term mission field. After my summer at Urban Promise, I felt God calling me to serve in inner city missions in urban settings in North America and in Africa. I do not know what God has in store for me, but I know that despite my disobedience and silly pride, He still loves me regardless and wants to use me to fulfill His Great Commission.
Urbana for me was split into two parts. I knew coming into Urbana I had many issues that I had to fix from unconfessed sins to broken relationships and so I wasn't that excited to be going because I knew I would have to confront God. Previously, I had run like Jonah to avoid having to deal with the sins and brokenness in my life. I thought I could just pretend that those things didn't bother me and I could receive God's mission for me fully. However, that night when we were in the concert of prayer, asking to hear God's voice. I heard the word: tell. I knew it didn't mean to go tell the gospel, but to tell my Christian friends about my struggles and be united as brothers and sisters. I realized that God wanted me to live a life worthy of his call. That night I got the courage to share the struggles I was experiencing with Christian sisters as well as try to patch up relationships.
Through this, I realized the joy of obedience to God. In spite of the fears and pride that prevented me from obeying God's word for so long, God still cared about me, his child, and knew what he was doing. The second part of Urbana, I felt such acceptance and joy in the ability to be congregated and united with Christian fellowship. In terms of missions, what I learned in my seminars was that Christianity is not a Western religion, but a world religion. I realized that I could use my vocation as a long-term mission field. After my summer at Urban Promise, I felt God calling me to serve in inner city missions in urban settings in North America and in Africa. I do not know what God has in store for me, but I know that despite my disobedience and silly pride, He still loves me regardless and wants to use me to fulfill His Great Commission.
The SCBC Urbana 2006 team has much to share about their experiences in St. Louis, Missouri. Read what each of us have to say about what God has shown us. Oh yea, there's pictures and movies and sounds too!