Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

teresa cheng - What is your calling?

I still recall making the decision of whether to attend Urbana 06 or not. It was tough having to be away from my family and friends for the holiday and New Year. A part of me wanted to stay in Toronto but a voice from within kept urging me to go! I prayed immensely for God’s guidance and direction. And before I knew it, this desire from within grew even stronger. I wanted to spend this holiday along with 22,000 other attendees from around the world to worship God and to find our purpose in life.

After hearing great stories and experiences from previous attendees and alumni’s I decided to go in with little expectation. A week prior to Urbana I tired to prepare myself for this convention through a time of reflection and prayer. During my quiet time, the thought of Asia preoccupied my mind. I had a great sense and urge to serve globally and hopefully with children’s ministry.

For me, Urbana was an intense and profound learning experience that stimulated and challenged me and even inspired me to ask the question: how does God want me to share the love of Christ to others? After 5 days of hearing inspirational speakers, attending seminars and visiting countless exhibits, God did not deliberately proclaim what he wanted me to do. But yet he opened my heart to the global issue of HIV/AIDS pandemic. One of the many inspiring testimonials made at the conference was by Princess Kasune Zulu. She shared with us how HIV/AIDS has affected her. She lost both her parents to the disease and is HIV positive. On our fourth night, she challenged me to get involve in the fight against this pandemic and to make a difference in the world. She asked us, “to be the visible image of the invisible God.”

God has given each of us a purpose in life. Our duty is to identify and clarify our calling. God is at work in all of our lives. Sometimes we may not realize this, but it is true. God has given us all spiritual gifts and his desire is for us to use them and to bring others closer to him. Consider using your gift and tell others about God. As Rick Warren mentioned, the 3W for sanctify: Whatever, Wherever, and Whenever. We as God’s people are to do whatever He tells you, go wherever to preach the word, and always be ready to answer the hope you have in you.

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. (Ephesians 4:1)





Teresa Cheng
January 07

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?