Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Joshua Tam

Urbana keeps popping up in my conversations one way or another, which signifies how much impact this conference has put on me. I am constantly sharing what I learned throughout the talks and seminars in little pieces everywhere I go. I've learned and taken alot from Urbana about my calling to do mission work, which was what mainly Urbana was supposed to be about, but I came out with that and even more to my surprise. During those talks, you couldn't help but feel rejuvenated with the word of God, with powerful speakers and interesting seminars. It provided me many more ways to look at life, and to live it, as well as how to look at it from a third person perspective. I felt the need to urgently change after each one. The schedule left us to be busy all day long and lack in our sleep, so it was an action packed trip all the way through. Being busy wasn't too bad though, since I was with my fellow SCBCer's most of the time through. I got the best of both worlds, meeting new people and having someplace to fall back on. I really got to bond with them being around them so much. The worship there was foreign but welcome to me. They lead worship with almost an Afircan-American gospel church style, with a mix of songs from other cultures, which really reflected the multi-cultural nature of Urbana. Everything was well organized and engaging, though that's what's expected from 3 years of planning. I was particularly mad about having many of my seminars cancelled, but most of the time, attendees agreed to have discussions on the topic at hand, which had its own merit.
I guess I still don't feel God's calling for me to do cross-cultural missions, but I feel within my community and circle of friends, that I can spread the word. ALthough this may change, I can deifnitely affirm the positive change towards my spiritual growth it's done for me.
The SCBC Urbana 2006 team has much to share about their experiences in St. Louis, Missouri. Read what each of us have to say about what God has shown us. Oh yea, there's pictures and movies and sounds too!