Wednesday, February 07, 2007

 
My Experience at Urbana – Lilian Man

Through Urbana, I had a lot of the “first” experience. There’s a lot of things you read about in books, you heard from people or you watch on TV that you have the acknowledge about but never experience it first hand. Here’s a little list of my first experiences

  1. Traveling 14 hours continuously on a bus with 50 people who are around my age. To top it off with a cherry, sitting beside the bathroom is definitely a first hand experience on how university students use the bathroom a lot. The bus ride was definitely something I will not forget for a long time

  1. Celebrating new years with 20 000+ people. I saw on TV how people did it. But being at there made my new years memorable and different.

  1. Getting to meet famous people. People that you hear who have done such an amazing job in their field of work. Those people are in front of you talking about their lives. For me, I had always imagined Rick Warren to be a tall, skinny and serious man. But instead, he’s a chubby, friendly, Texas rancher look-a-like man. These people became alive from textbooks and they can be just standing next to you because they are so much like you and me.

  1. One morning, my roommates and I were walking through the lobby to get our breakfast. While I was getting my coffee, I notice this girl next to me had on a very interesting shirt. As I was paying closer attention to the shirt, I realize it had a slogan that said “Hi! I am HIV+ =)” I paused for a second. I had never encounter anyone who are HIV positive. It feels like that God is speaking to me. At that time, I realize that HIV is not only a problem at the far away land of Africa. HIV happens here right in our community.

  1. Sitting in the seats that normally cost 100 dollars listening to the world best speakers talk. Also being in the presence of 20 000 people who have the same goal and vision as myself. Watching my life change before my eyes. Realizing what I do would be very limited but it would make a difference to someone.

This list can go on. But I want to thank God for providing this chance. While everyone was all excited for Urbana, I was quite emotionless. I was not super excited. I took it as part of my Christmas plans. But then I left Urbana with a goal in mind. I left with a mission to dos something that can change someone’s live.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?